Tuesday, January 10, 2006

I told you so

Okay, I never posted on it, so I can't really prove it, but I totally knew it. Back in 2003 when the bookstore where I worked was trying to start a public reading group, the first book chosen was James Frey's recovery memoir A Million Little Pieces. Being a good employee, I picked up a copy of the book to read so that I could help with discussion. I couldn't finish it because it seemed clear to me that Frey was making things up. (It's been two years since I tried to read it, so I don't have a lot of good offhand examples of what exactly didn't ring true, except that I skipped ahead to the end and it sure seemed like all the charaters that Frey seemed to like turned out okay, and all the characters who gave him a hard time died embarrassing deaths.)

It turns out, I was right. (Thanks to The Smoking Gun.com) Salon also posts a piece today discussing Frey and J. T. LeRoy. The New York Times weighs in here.

I wonder how Oprah will handle this news. (Frey's book was selected recently for Oprah's book club, and marked a return to works by contemporary authors.) Perhaps Frey will join Jonathan Franzen as one of the men who killed Oprah's Book Club. It's more distinguished company than he deserves.

No comments: