Tuesday, November 04, 2008

The most important item on the (Lansing) ballot

My wife and I took the girls to the polls this morning, as we usually do. We arrived a few minutes after the polls opened at seven 'o' clock, and there was already a substantial line. We vote in all the primaries, so I'm used to showing up first thing in the morning and getting ballot number 5 or 6. This morning I was ballot 122.

We were in line for about an hour and a half, and the girls were mostly good, but understandably restless. We didn't expect the line to be so long, so we didn't bring anything for them to do. I wished that I had brought a book, but as time passed, I realized it wouldn't have done much good. Entertaining myself isn't really a priority in a situation like that compared to entertaining my daughters.

I voted fairly quickly by the time I got my hands on the ballot, and only my conscience kept me from filling out the "straight party ballot" choice. It would have been faster, but the Ingham County Prosecutor needs to go.

I'm not misty about Obama, but then I never was. I'm optimistic, but I largely don't believe in a politics of enthusiasm and agreement. I'm ready to support the president where he's right, and fight him where he's wrong. I relish the thought of doing more supporting and less fighting, but nothing is certain until all the votes are counted. I've been disappointed before.

In all honesty, since Michigan went blue in the last two elections, and is likely to do so again this time, I'm a bit more worried about the CATA millage. If it fails, bus service will be reduced. Public transportation is good for the people and good for business. I'm hoping that Lansing realizes that.

1 comment:

Jess said...

What does it tell Hawaiian voters when the election is called for Obama before the polls in their state have closed? (Not that Hawaii was going to go for McCain, just that presidential politics doesn't really involve the state.)

The big ballot initiative out here is also about public transit: a controversial proposal for creating a steel rail commuter train in Honolulu that now looks to cost a little over $4 billion. I'm in favor of it, but then again, I won't be around for my tax dollars to pay for it.