Monday, October 09, 2006

I was wrong. Whoo-hoo!

Some of you may remember that I made a prediction about the Tigers' season back in July. For a few days, it looked like I was going to be right. The Tigers gave up first place in the AL Central by losing the last game of the season, including a three-game collapse at home to the worst team in baseball. (The standings say something slightly different, but I stand behind my assessment. Kansas City sucked like no one else this year.) Then the Tigers lost the first game of the division series to the Yankees 8-4. A six-game losing streak said that an exit in the first round of the playoffs was inevitable.

Then the team we've been watching all year came back. A game won the right way in New York was followed by two blowouts in Detroit. Meanwhile, Minnesota was swept by Oakland, and suddenly giving the Twins the AL Central and taking the Wild Card seems like the smartest thing the Tigers ever did.

Of course, sports are funny that way. (And, hey, aren't I supposed to be writing about books on this blog?)

Bring on Oakland. If the Tigers win the pennant, I'm going to go buy me a hat.

No comments: