Friday, August 31, 2007

Do I really have anything to say about this? Apparently, I do.

I'm sure by now that all of my readers have heard about Larry Craig's guilty plea to a charge of disorderly conduct for soliciting in a St. Paul/Minnesota airport bathroom, so I won't bother linking. (Really, if this is news to you, Google "Larry Craig bathroom" and see what you come up with.)

There's really a lot to be said, but most of it has been said already. Personally, I'm not sure that I have any outrage left over the hypocrisy of people who try and inflict moral standards on others because of their own self-loathing or faux righteousness. Mostly I've just settled into a general state of contempt. Still, I've been surprised at my own feelings of pity for Senator Craig. If he had been able to come to terms with his own sexual impulses instead of projecting them into a belief in some external moral and political threat, I can't help feeling that he would have led a happier life. At the same time, I'm sure even when he resigns that no one will ask him to return the generous U.S. Senate salary and perks that he's been collecting for the past 16 years.

The real tragedy, though? Senator Craig's resignation would likely mean the final and irrevocable end of our friend John Ashcroft's Singing Senators.

No comments: